- 2 ¾ cups unsweetened flake coconut
- ⅛ teaspoon powdered stevia
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- ½ teaspoon pure almond extract
- 2 ounces bittersweet or 80% cacao chocolate
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 24 whole almonds
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- In mixing bowl, combine coconut, stevia, and salt. Add egg whites and almond extract. Mix well.
- Cover baking sheet with parchment paper. Drop coconut mixture into mounds, using approximately 1 tablespoon for each mound. Press small indentation into center of each.
- Bake 15 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool completely on cookie sheet.
- In microwave-safe bowl or on stovetop, melt chocolate. Remove from heat. Add cream and stir until mixture is smooth and well blended, reheating slightly if needed. Spoon approximately ½ teaspoon chocolate mixture into center of macaroons; top each with an almond.
- Yield: 24 cookies
- TIP- Initially I had trouble with these cookies falling apart. A brilliant solution: bake them in mini muffin tins. Works great!